Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The other Nemesis

Andy Diggle posted news a few days ago of the death of John Hicklenton. I read it, got on with my day and later did my Mick sketch. It was only when I finished it this morning that I realized just how little I cared for it and how Andy's post had been sitting there, eyeing me from the back of my skull.
So I closed it up and started again.
My favorite 2000AD artists were always Mike McMahon, Kevin O'Neill and John Hicklenton. The two former were a joy to read and study- clever visuals and immaculate layouts. John Hicklenton's work was different. I remember opening his debut for Nemesis as a teenager being blown away with the textures, the tiny panels like intricate miniatures and the splatters. His work was not easy, it wasn't fun and cosy. It was unexpected- Nemesis looked rubbery, with an anatomy that well, looked alien. I was hooked- I still drag it out and marvel at it's confidence. It has a kind of energy, like he attacked whatever surface he was drawing on to just the images out of his head. The other guys may have been the kind artists that I wanted to draw like, but Hicklenton was how I wanted to draw.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar